Excerpt from IFJ.org:
The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) has condemned as "unforgiveable censorship" attempts by the US fruit company, Dole Food, to prevent the release of a documentary film BANANAS!* by Swedish journalist and film maker Fredrik Gertten, which exposes threats to the health of banana plantations workers in Nicaragua.
"The company’s action is designed to legitimise censorship," said Aidan White, IFJ General Secretary. "We condemn the use of law to try to evade media scrutiny and public accountability. It is an unforgiveable violation of free speech."
The IFJ represents over 600,000 journalists in 123 countries worldwide.
Read full article:
IFJ Condemns Attempts by Embattled Food Company to Censor Free Speech in US
IFJ.org, Oct 8, 2009
Related articles on this site:
- Oct 14: Swedish MPs reply to Dole: “we are not impressed”
- Sep 29: ”Dole threatens free speech”
- Sep 2: Reporters Without Borders launches BANANAS!* petition
- Aug 24: German filmmakers warns Dole
- Aug 13: Filmmakers express their support for BANANAS!*